Talking About Assessment Conversations

My Rationale:

My goal has been to create a system that authentically involves students in their own assessment. A system that abolishes the autocratic enterprise that can be more traditional assessment practices. This way, assessment can cease to be something students are subjected to and become something they're intimately involved and invested in.

Simply speaking, my specific intention behind assessment conversations is to infuse more student voice into my assessment. Is there a better way to achieve that than having students' literal voices incorporated into their assessment? Here's a step-by-step breakdown of these assessment conversations:

Step #1: Student Self-Evaluation

After completing a project, students fill in the following their Assessment Conversation Self-Evaluation (see examples below). It mostly mirrors the single column rubric students receive with the project. However, rather than "Areas to Celebrate" and "Areas to Address," the Self-Evaluation version reads "What I'd like you to notice!" and "Where I'd like to grow!" That way, students communicate both areas for potential improvement and areas they believe they've best demonstrated the assigned competency or learning target. 

After filling out those aforementioned sections, students self-assess their level of proficiency. More often than not, they're either bang on or too hard on themselves. Seldom do students inflate their proficiency and if they do the disconnect is cleared up via the impending conversation.

Step #2: My Conversation Prep

Prior to engaging in the assessment conversation, I evaluate students' completed projects and jot down feedback. I focus on key areas for them to address. I try to keep these notes brief; they act as more of a reminder for me than a verbatim script. Don't feel the need to write down everything students need to work on. Stick to the most essential. 

Step #3: The Conversation 

A question I always get from teachers is "When exactly do you have these conversations?" Great question! Honestly, whenever I can fit them in. Often, I squeeze them in during silent reading or independent work time. It largely depends on the classroom dynamic. 

I imagine these assessment conversations could take many forms and many tones. I tend to keep them well.. conversational. I like the conversation to be balanced: I talk some then the student talks some. 

First, I have students explain their self-assessment and then I ask them general questions about the project. What did you appreciate about it? What did you struggle with? 

Next, I read their writing aloud to them. I promise it's not nearly as awkward as it sounds. I point out areas to address and areas I appreciate. Hey I appreciate your sentence structuring in this paragraph! Maybe be more concise with your topic sentence. Basically, I indicate what I'm looking for when I assess their writing. That way they get a first hand account of my expectations. I also make sure to clear up any potential confusion students may have with future feedback. Do you know what I mean by concise? I believe this expedites students' skill development.

I finish by asking students if they have any final thoughts or questions for me. I also communicate where I put them on their proficiency journey.

My Final Thoughts:

I'm not saying these assessment conversations need to be your only assessment strategy. They can be tricky to schedule. But they can also be some of the most rewarding conversations you'll have with your students. They can change both your and your student's relationship with assessment. Take a chance and have a conversation!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Grave New World: My Most Pessimistic Views on Ai

Step #1 for Implementing Standards-Based Grading: Understanding, Reorganizing, and Unpacking Curricular Competencies

How to Meaningfully Implement the New K-12 Student Reporting Policy at the Secondary Level