Picasso and the Election

Like most, the American Election results monopolized both my television and my mind. Like most, the Trump vs. Biden Presidential Race occupied too much of my mental real estate. I had lessons to plan and projects to mark, but I couldn't take my eyes off that screen. After awhile, I found it staring back at me.

Pablo Picasso's haunting 1937 painting, "Guernica", spontaneously flashed across my mind. Black. White. Grey. Pain. Chaos. Pandemonium. Why? I honestly wasn't sure. Maybe my students could help?

The following day, I projected the following provocation up on the board, alongside an image of the painting:

"Why might Mr. Blair have thought about Pablo Picasso's "Guernica" while watching the election results?"

Their answers astounded me. Creative and critical thinking were on full display. I posed a question that has likely never been asked in history. In turn, several students responded like they had been waiting to answer such a question their entire lives.

Here are some of their most memorable responses: 

"The black and white colouring represents how black and white America politics have become"

"The chaos and randomness reminds me of that blue and red map they showed on the screen all night."

"It looks like all the humans are at the bottom. Maybe that represents how people are losing their humanity due to the election?"

"It just looks sad to me. Kinda like this election makes me feel.."

"It looks like a battle. Maybe that shows what could happen after the election?"

Ask questions that students cannot simply Google. Ask questions that have never been asked before. Such questions catalyze the type of thinking that can promote innovation. The type of thinking that can change the world.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Grave New World: My Most Pessimistic Views on Ai

Step #1 for Implementing Standards-Based Grading: Understanding, Reorganizing, and Unpacking Curricular Competencies

How to Meaningfully Implement the New K-12 Student Reporting Policy at the Secondary Level